LOS ANGELES – Keiro announced its 2019-2020 Grants Program cycle which will award up to $250,000 to community organizations. With a continued focus on reducing social isolation, the Grants Program will support both new and ongoing programs that serve older adults and their caregivers in the Japanese American and Japanese community in Los Angeles, Orange, and Ventura counties.
“Previous Keiro grants recipients have begun pursuing various outreach and socialization programs to combat a growing threat to older adults within our community,” says Gene S. Kanamori, Keiro president & CEO. “Keiro is proud to support these dedicated organizations who provide vital support to older adults and their caregivers in addressing the pressing issue of social isolation.”
The 2019-2020 Grants Program will offer individual grants of up to $15,000 to qualified applicants through a competitive, committee-driven review process. The purpose of the Grants Program is to provide support to organizations looking to continue and expand services that increase social connectedness among older adults and caregivers. Priority will be given to applicant organizations with an annual operating budget of less than $1 million. Proposals for program development, capital improvements, capacity building, and/or core operating support will be considered. The proposal deadline for this year’s grants cycle is Friday, August 30, 2019.
The goals of Keiro’s Grants Program are to:
- Enhance the quality of life of older adults and their caregivers in the Japanese American and Japanese community who are most in-need or vulnerable
- Reduce social isolation and loneliness among Japanese American and Japanese older adults and their caregivers
- Promote culturally sensitive programs and services accessible to our community
- Strengthen systems of support for older adults and their caregivers through local service providers, programs, and resources
This summer, Keiro will offer informational workshops in the community to discuss the goals of the program and eligibility requirements, and guide prospective applicants through the application process.
Workshops are scheduled as follows:
- Thursday, June 13, 2019 | 4:00 p.m. Los Angeles Hompa Hongwanji Buddhist Temple
- Wednesday, June 19, 2019 | 10:00 a.m. Gardena Valley Japanese Cultural Institute*
- Thursday, June 27, 2019 | 10:00 a.m. Wintersburg Presbyterian Church*
- Tuesday, July 2, 2019 | 11:00 a.m. Online Webinar
- Saturday, July 13, 2019 | 10:00 a.m. Japanese American Cultural & Community Center
- Monday, July 15, 2019 | 6:00 p.m. Venice Japanese Community Center
- Thursday, July 18, 2019 | 12:00 p.m. Online Webinar**
- Thursday, July 25, 2019 | 6:00 p.m. Mission Valley Free Methodist Church
*Held in both English and Japanese
**Can provide Japanese translation upon request
Please check our website for the latest dates and times for the workshops.
Registration is required to attend the workshops, and signups will be available on Keiro’s website.
Workshop Registration: Google Form Registration
For additional information regarding Keiro’s Grants Program, including downloadable grant applications, guidelines, and to register for an upcoming informational workshop, please visit www.keiro.org/grants or call 213.873.5703.
Keiro is a mission-driven organization engaged in improving the quality of life for older adults and their caregivers in the Japanese American and Japanese community of Los Angeles, Orange and Ventura counties. Keiro delivers a wide range of resources to address the challenges and barriers that aging presents: isolation, limited financial resources, complex health conditions, and cognitive and memory disabilities. Keiro also partners with companies and organizations that can expand its services and ability to reach seniors and caregivers, and participates in research and innovation work where Keiro can contribute to advancing progress in resolving the challenges of aging. Keiro is headquartered in Los Angeles.