I like to say I’m a rather sharp person, and I’ve been very conscious about keeping a healthy, active lifestyle. But recently, I sometimes forget things here and there… and at times it makes me wonder if I should be afraid of ever getting dementia or Alzheimer’s disease… I know my friend is struggling to care for her husband with dementia and wonder what I can do now to keep myself aware and alert.From Scared of Alzheimer’s
Dear Scared of Alzheimer’s
Alzheimer’s disease is definitely a high interest topic in Our Community, and sometimes we wonder when we should be concerned about this. However, it’s important to know that there are different types of memory loss, and not all forms of “forgetfulness” are dangerous signs to be worried about.
There are forms of forgetfulness that are normal with aging. However there are also some warning signs that could indicate the onset of Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, or other forms of cognitive impairment.
Seeking assessment from a doctor may be one way to keep yourself up to date on how your body is doing. But it’s wonderful you are aware and preemptively seeking information related to Alzheimer’s. Having up-to-date information is key to knowing what resources are available when we need it.
Keiro is hosting a free Alzheimer’s Conference on May 1, 2021. This will cover not only about Alzheimer’s and regular memory loss, but also the latest research, as medical advancement is made every day.
Maybe your friend who is caring for her husband may benefit too, as we will also provide resources that are available for those who are caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s. We hope this will be a beneficial event that can give you more insight on what you need to know now about Alzheimer’s Disease.
Be sure to stay safe, and looking forward to seeing you on May 1st!
P.S. Here are some helpful tools and links you can look into:
- Info on Alzheimer’s conference: https://www.keiro.org/what-we-do/events/alzheimers-conference
- Keiro’s Alzheimer’s Fact Sheet: https://www.keiro.org/fact-sheet/alzheimers-disease
- Faces of Caregiving – A documentary series sharing Japanese American caregivers caring for their loved one: https://www.alzheimersla.org/the-faces-of-caregiving-2/
- What is Alzheimer’s: https://www.alzheimersla.org/alzheimers-los-angeles-services/what-is-alzheimers-disease/
- Alzheimer’s Los Angeles Resource Directory: https://www.alzheimersla.org/alzheimers-los-angeles-services/resources/