If you are interested in making a gift of a motor vehicle to a not-for-profit organization, why not make it to Keiro Senior HealthCare where your generosity will benefit seniors in our community?
Vehicles, trucks, RVs, and boats, running or not, are accepted. Keiro will provide free towing and DMV paperwork.
Gifts are tax deductible (Tax I.D. #95-4022185) and will help to ensure that Keiro will be available for our children and our children's children, as they too become seniors.
Please call Resource Development at (323) 980-7513 or download a vehicle donation brochure (Japanese brochure also available) to receive more information or to make your gift today!
- Call Keiro Resource Development at (323) 980-7513. Please have on hand the following information:
- Mailing address for receipt
- Name on vehicle’s title
- Year, make and model
- Vehicle location
- License plate number
- Vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Shortly after you contact Keiro, one of the companies we work with to process vehicle donations will call you to set up an appointment for a tow-truck to come and pick up your vehicle.
- Your vehicle and title will be picked up and you will receive a tow confirmation of your donation at that time.
Please remember to submit the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability with the DMV within 5 days of the vehicle pick-up date. You can complete it through one of the following ways: 1. Mail the form to the DMV (mailing address is on the form) 2. Visit a AAA office (if you’re a member) or 3. Submit via the internet through the California DMV website. If you need assistance filling out the form, please call Keiro’s Resource Development Department at (323) 980-7513.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I donate?
We can usually accept automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, off road vehicles, boats, motor homes, and RVs. If you are unsure about what you can donate, please call us at (323) 980-7513 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
Could I donate my vehicle even if it is non-operational?
Yes, we accept vehicles running or not. However, vehicles must be intact and tow-truck accessible.
Are vehicle pickups restricted to local areas?
We can pick up vehicles anywhere in California and parts of Arizona.
What do I need to donate my vehicle?
We need the signed certificate of title (a.k.a. pink slip). If you have lost or misplaced the certificate of title, we will prepare the necessary paperwork for you.
How soon can the vehicle be picked up?
Vehicles are generally picked up within a few days. If you would like your vehicle to be picked up sooner or later, please let us know. We will try our best to accommodate your request.
What happens to the car after it is picked up?
Donated vehicles are either sold at public auctions or recycled.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Yes. Keiro Senior HealthCare is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Our tax identification number is 95-4022185.
How do I know how much I can claim on the tax-deduction?
If the vehicle sells for more than $500, you can deduct the actual sale amount. A 1098C form including that amount will be mailed to you within 30 days of the selling date, which must be filed with your tax return.
If the vehicle sells for $500 or less, you may deduct the lesser of the fair market value on the date of the contribution, or $500 simply with the receipt mailed to you from Keiro Senior HealthCare.
For more information, please check out IRS publication 4303, A Donor’s Guide to Vehicle Donations
How do I donate?
Simply call Keiro Resource Development at (323) 980-7513 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Shortly after you contact Keiro, one of the vendors we work with to process vehicle donations will call you to set up an appointment for a tow-truck to come and pick up your vehicle.
Paraphrased Information from IRS Publication 4303
Please note the changes to the federal vehicle donation tax laws that went into effect on January 1, 2005. The following laws apply to any donation of any motor vehicle manufactured mainly for use on public streets, roads, and highways sold by the nonprofit organization.
Deduction over $500:
- If the vehicle sells for more than $500, the donor’s allowable deduction exceeding $500 is limited to the gross proceeds the charity receives from its sale. The donor will receive a 1098C form with the actual sale amount in the mail within 30 days of the selling date. In order for the donor to receive the deduction, he or she must attach the 1098C form to the tax return.
Deduction $500 or less:
If the vehicle sells for $500 or less, the donor may deduct the lesser of:
- The fair market value on the date of the contribution, or
For vehicles that sell for $500 or less, the nonprofit organization will furnish a written acknowledgment to the donor for the vehicle donation to be kept for the donor’s records. The donor may claim the deduction without any additional paperwork.
For specific information on the tax benefits of donating your vehicle, please consult a tax advisor.
- Publication 4303, A Donor’s Guide to Car Donations (Pub4303.pdf)
- Publication 526, Charitable Deductions (Pub526.pdf)
- Publication 561, Determining the Value of Donated Property (Pub561.pdf)
For more information or to view IRS publications, please visit the IRS website.