Today, more than 30,000 Japanese American families are caring for seniors at home. Caregivers must interpret and stay abreast of a myriad of complex and changing issues, such as healthcare insurance, Alzheimer’s disease, and financial planning. Every year, Keiro provides healthy aging education and resources to approximately 30,000 households in our community.
|"Caring for the Caregiver" conference
Through the courage and sacrifices of the Founders, along with the generosity of many donors and volunteers, Keiro has grown year by year. Today Keiro is the largest, Japanese health care provider in the nation and encompasses
- Keiro Nursing Home and Special Care Unit
- South Bay Keiro Nursing Home
- Keiro Intermediate Care Facility
- Keiro Retirement Home
- The Institute for Healthy Aging at Keiro
From its inception, Keiro has met the needs of those who endured, sacrificed and labored to make the Japanese American community the success we enjoy today.
|Keiro Founders in 2006: George Aratani, Jim Mitsumori, Frank Omatsu, and Kiyo Maruyama.
The history of Keiro is a proud testimony of the Japanese American community banding together to meet the needs of its people. Today, our community is aging faster than any other; one in five Japanese Americans is over age 65, approximately twice the national average, and this number continues to grow rapidly. Thanks to the foresight of the Founders back in 1961, Keiro continues to respond to the increasing and ever-changing needs of our elderly and their families.
With widespread support from our community, Keiro continues to grow and today…
- over 130,000 families have trusted Keiro to provide the necessary care options through Keiro Retirement Home, Keiro Intermediate Care Facility, Keiro Nursing Home, and South Bay Keiro Nursing Home since 1961.
- Keiro is a center of community where over 600 residents, 1500 volunteers, and 600 staff members together enhance the quality of senior life in our community.
- Keiro offers peace of mind and a comprehensive range of senior health care services.
- Through The Institute for Healthy Aging, Keiro has empowered over 14,500 individuals thorugh evidence-based programs in its care communities and in over 40 different community centers, churches, temples, and organizations all over Southern California.
- Keiro remains committed to meeting the evolving needs of our aging community while being a good steward of precious and limited resources.
- Keiro has been an extension of family for over 50 years.